- Yellow fever vaccination required.
- Like any good traveler, you will also ensure the updating of other mandatory vaccines (tetanus and polio).
- Vaccines against hepatitis A and B, are recommended.
- Taking aspirin against headache or fever is not recommended (formally against-indicated in case of Dengue): Think Paracetamol.
- Preventive treatment against malaria: see depending on the area of residence (see map) with your doctor.
During the journey
- Protect yourself from mosquitoes in areas at risk (protective clothing, repellents, bednets).
- Continue if it was undertaken, the treatment against malaria.
- Consult a doctor promptly in case of fever.
After the trip
- Continue if it was undertaken, the anti-malarial treatment according to medical prescription.
- Consult your doctor if fever or unexplained symptoms, and inform your stay in South America.
Your travel kit
- Repellents against mosquitoes (DEET product)
- Analgesic: Paracetamol
- Antiseptic and calming digestive transit (Loperamide)
- Skin dressings and antiseptics
- Pest cream
- Preventive treatment against malaria if necessary
- Your usual medications
Useful information to know
England: - 6 hours in summer / - 5 hours winter
Paris: - 5 hours in summer / - 4 hours winter
French Canada: -1 hours summer / -2 hours winter
Guadeloupe, Martinique: -1 hours
Currency: the Euro is used throughout the department. Credit cards national and international as well as bank checks are accepted in French Guiana.
Language: French is spoken fluently by all coastal and English is properly understood.
- from metropolitan France and overseas: 0594 + 6 digits
- from England (and foreign country): 00 594 + 6 digits.
Electricity: 220 v
Water: tap water is drinkable throughout the coast.
Shopping hours: Generally, shops open Monday to Saturday from 8h to 13h and 16h to 19h. Grocery stores and supermarkets remain open until late evening (20:30) and Sunday from 9am to 12.30pm.
Holidays: they are identical to those of metropolitan France, in addition to those specific to French Guiana: Ash Wednesday in February or March and June 10 (abolition of slavery).
- Brazil - 23 chemin Saint Antoine - 97300 Cayenne - Tel: 00. (0) 594296010
- Suriname - 3, av Léopol Cayenne Heder-97300 - Phone: 00. (0) 594282160
- Haiti - 12 Ave. Léopold Heder - 97300 Cayenne - Tel: 00. (0) 594311858
Last Updated on Monday, 10 November 2014 00:16